What is Sports Podiatry?
Sports Podiatry focuses on the assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of foot and lower limb conditions which arise as a result of sports or physical activity.
At Your Podiatry People, we believe strong, healthy feet and lower limbs are the foundation of optimal performance. Our goal is to help amateur and professional athletes and active individuals maintain optimal foot health and performance. We provide:
- sports injury management
- sports injury treatment
- preventative foot and lower limb care
Common sports-related podiatry conditions
- Foot and ankle injuries: These typically consists of sprains, strains, fractures, and other traumatic injuries.
- Overuse injuries: Conditions like plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, and stress fractures which are often the result of repetitive movement which is common in athletes.
- Biomechanical issues: Abnormal foot mechanics that can lead to pain and injury.
- Postural imbalance: An abnormal distribution of weight or alignment of the body, concerning the feet, ankles, and lower limbs during sports activities. Postural imbalance can lead to altered biomechanics, inefficient movement patterns, and increased risk of injury.
What are some sports podiatry assessments and treatments?
Treatments will depend on the individual’s condition and the nature of the sports-related injury and/or objective (e.g. achieving optimal performance), however some common sports podiatry treatments are:
- Custom Orthotics: Assessment,fitting and prescription of orthotic devices, such as custom-made shoe inserts that provide support, correct alignment, and improve foot function and support the foot’s structure during sports activities during. Orthotics are useful for both injury prevention and recovery.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy can be exercises, stretching and manual therapy to support healing, improve flexibility, and restore function.
- Gait analysis & Retraining: An assessment of walking and running patterns to identify any abnormalities or imbalances that may contribute to injury. Exercises and techniques may be prescribed to improve biomechanics and prevent injuries.
- Footwear assessment & reccomendations: Many sport-related injuries can arise as a result of incorrect footwear. We help athletes choose the right type of sports shoes based on their foot structure and physical activity.
- Modification techniques: In some cases changes to techniques may be recommended e.g. running techniques etc.
- Taping and strapping: The application of specialised tape or straps to support injured or vulnerable areas, improve joint stability, and prevent excessive movement during sports activities.
- Shockwave therapy: This non-invasive treatment involves using acoustic waves to stimulate healing and reduce pain in conditions like plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinopathy.
- Surgery: In severe cases or when other treatments are not effective, surgical procedures may be required to correct structural abnormalities or address chronic conditions.
At Your Podiatry People, our goal is to enable athletes and sports enthusiasts to perform at their best while minimising the risk of injury and improving overall foot and lower limb health. We help athletes return back to optimal performance as soon as possible.